Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Foster Care to Adoption: The Welcome Book

     Our home study write-up was finalized this week. It was reviewed 3 times between the case worker and director for changes and additions. I've emailed every day asking for the status on our case and letting them know we are 'excited to welcome a child/children into our home'. They haven't responded for a few days, now. Ha! I gave them a break today, but tomorrow I'll be on it again. I've been told numerous times to bug the heck out of them until you get a response, so I will. :)

     In the meantime, I created a welcome book about our family, what/where things are in our house and some tips that may help them understand how our family functions. So now, Ms. Caseworker, there is a book for that.

     We have been discussing this process with our children since we began, in a way that is best for them to understand. Our 4 year old thinks it is a big sleepover party where kids can play and stay. Our 6 year old is beginning to grasp that not all children have it as great as her, and in her caring nature, she is excited to help them.  She also believes all these children are hungry, because that is what she relates to so well. ;)  Our 8 year old is in a tricky spot. She is still a child, but more in tune to the truth that what I want to let on. She knows these children come from a rough home, but she has no schema for what that looks like. She also realizes they may not stay, and she cries for them already because they have to be away from their parents.  We pray every night with a purpose, asking God to make our family a good fit for the children rather than the children a good fit for us.  We pray for their families and ask for God's timing.

     In preparing our children, I wanted to do something to prepare children in foster care. Can you imagine being taken away from family and put in a stranger's house to live? You would have no idea who the people are, where things are, what you are expected to do/not do, etc. etc. etc.  Many of the initial problems facing placements is the child's uncertainty and lack of understanding.  They will get into so many things not knowing that it's 'off limits' or not safe. They literally have no idea what to do and so, they will do it all. I do not want their first day to be full of  "NO!", but rather love.  This book won't fix everything, but I hope it aids tremendously in the transition.






An introductory of who we are and that our job is to keep them safe. 



I described a little about each child and what they are interested in.



I also took a picture of each room in the house and explained what we do in that room and a rule or two about each place. (i.e. We eat dinner at the table and say a prayer before we eat.)



With the kitchen and laundry room, I explained that if they stay with us for awhile they will have responsibilities in the home, just like our children. I explained that everyone helped keep our home clean and going. (My next book will be a reminder to our children....) 


 Introducing bedrooms was a great time to introduce respect for privacy.



I explained what Sean and I do for a living and some of the things our family likes to do together. 




                                                                And finally, our house rules.







No comments:

Post a Comment